Monday, March 23, 2009

I do Culture Vultures too...

So, this weekend I had a minor epiphany. Since you share the Culture Vultures done each term, I should pass along the Culture Vulture activities of my life.

Here's a fine film that has been on my list of "to watch" for some time. It's called Persepolis, and it's the story of an Iranian girl who faces great struggles as her country changes from dictator rule to a religious state. The film mimics the style of a graphic novel, animated to capture the black and white drawings of the original book. While the characters speak French, with subtitles it is very easy to follow along. Best scene: Marjane goes to buy black market tapes because the government has banned "corrupt Western influences." And she ends up with Iron Maiden!

Check it out:

No comments: